Posted September 25, 2013, 2:59 pm
Here's what's happening around the BBN:
- Tickets to the Champions Classic Kentucky vs Michigan State game on November 12th go on sale October 1st.
- Many experts including Jeff Goodman are now saying they would take Julius Randle as the #1 pick in next year's NBA Draft over Andrew Wiggins. Randle is impressing everybody that sees him.
- Dick Vitale is picking the Cats as his pre-season #1.
- USA today ranks Kentucky as their pre-season #1 as well. They also listed Julius Randle as a First Team All-American.
- Who would you guess was the leading scorer in yesterday's scrimmage? If you guessed Derick Willis you are correct! You are also a liar.
- A basketball blog called Run the Floor recently ranked the top coaches by how many Twitter followers they have, and apparently Coach Cal has almost more followers than all the other coaches combined. Coach Cal has 1,244,546 followers. The coach closest to him is Tom Crean with 124,481 followers, over a million more. That is ridiculous and that is the power of the BBN. #KentuckyEffect
- Trey Lyles, a 5-star 2014 stud has whittled his college choice down to two schools: Loserville and Kentucky. Trey has already broken the hearts of Hoosier fans. If he chooses Kentucky he will do the same to thousands of Lousy fans and will instantly become one of my favorite players. A commitment from Lyles would also put Kentucky in a great position for yet another #1 recruiting class (assuming a few other chips fall in place).
NBA Former Cats News:
- Nerlens Noel officially signed with the 76ers yesterday and will be hauling in $3,172,320 his rookie season, $3,315,120 in year two, $3,457,800 in year three (option), and $4,384,490 in year four (option.)
- Shaq became a minority owner of the Sacramento Kings a few days ago and has vowed to build the team around Demarcus Cousins and mentor him.
Around the SEC:
- Marshall Henderson The Land Shark will be participating in Ole Miss' first practice Friday. Apparently you can't stop a Henderson, even with failed drug tests.
Around the NCAA
- P.J. Hairston is already back with the UNC Tarholes. Unfathomably, Ole Roy just yelled, "Dadgum it", slapped him on the wrist, and forgave all of his multiple violations.
Posted September 25, 2013, 9:46 am
Thursday, September 26
Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech 7:30 PM ESPN Georgia Tech -7.5
Prediction: Georgia Tech 28-14. Bet Georgia Tech –7.5
Saturday, September 28
#15 Miami at South Florida 12:00 PM ESPNU Miami -19.5
Prediction: Miami 38-13. Bet Miami –19.5
#8 Florida St. at Boston College 3:30 PM ABC FSU -21.5
Prediction: FSU 42-20. Bet FSU –21.5
#6 LSU at #9 GEORGIA 3:30 PM CBS Georgia -2.5
Prediction: Georgia 31-30. Bet LSU +2.5
#14 Oklahoma at #22 Notre Dame 3:30 PM NBC Oklahoma -3.5
Prediction: Notre Dame 21-20. Bet Notre Dame +3.5
#21 Mississippi at #1 Alabama 6:30 PM ESPN Alabama -16.5
Prediction: Alabama 35-14. Bet Alabama –16.5
#20 Florida at Kentucky 7:00 PM ESPNU Florida -13.5
Prediction: Florida 28-17. Bet Kentucky +13.5
#10 Texas A&M at Arkansas 7:00 PM ESPN2 Texas A&M -10.5
PredictionA: Texas A&M 49-31. Bet Texas A&M –10.5
#23 Wisconsin at #4 Ohio St. 8:00 PM ABC Ohio State -7.5
Prediction: OSU 35-31. Bet Wisconsin +7.5
USC at Arizona St. 10:30 PM ESPN2 Arizona St -5.5
Prediction: Arizona St. 31-27. Bet USC +5.5
Leemo’s Five Star Lock of the Weekend: Georgia Tech –7.5 and Texas A&M –10.5
2013-2014 College Football Season
Year to date (Straight up picks): 17-3
Year to date (Against the spread): 11-9
Year to date (5 star Locks): 2-2
Posted September 20, 2013, 4:14 pm
Tickets for Big Blue Madness will be available on Saturday, October 5th at 7:00 AM at the Memorial Coliseum ticket office as well as on Ticketmaster.com Tickets are free again this year but there is a limit of 4 tickets per person. If you buy them through Ticketmaster there will be a service fee applied. If you are going to camp out and wait in line you can begin camping at 5:00 AM on October 2nd. A maximum of four control cards per tent are available and you must be present to receive a control card.
Camping out for Big Blue Madness (Midnight Madness back in my day) was one of the funnest times of my life. I did it every year for several years. The most memorable time was in1997. My friends had put up a tent three days prior and they insisted nobody could cut infront of them unless they stayed in the tent at least one night. So on the last night before Madness I was leaving Last Call at 4:00 AM and decided to walk over to Memorial Coliseum and slip in the tent. Back then there were only about 60 tents. I finally found my friends and crawled in. They immediately went to their dorms. As soon as they left a bad storm hit. It was ridiculously windy and cold and the rain poured down on the tent. At least an inch of water was in the bottom of the tent. I took off my sweatshirt and hung it from the top of the inside of the tent to try to keep it dry but it didn't work. Pretty soon it was dripping water on me and I was miserable. After a while the tent completely collapsed on me and it was like I was wearing a wet sleeping bag. I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to lose the place in line they had kept for the past several days. When I peeped my head out of the tent I noticed many other campers had given up and left. So I dragged the tent further up the line. Throughout the next couple hours as the storm continued more and more people gave up and left. I kept dragging the tent up the line every time someone would leave. It was an absolutely miserable five hours but it all ended up being worthwhile.
At 9:00 AM I found myself at the edge of the payment and there were only two tents ahead of us. When they started letting people in I was the 9th person through the door. We all got to sit on the front row center court. UK Cheerleaders pulled out one of my buddies and he got to shoot a three pointer for a thousand bucks.... He bricked it bad.
Other memorable moments from Midnight Madness / Big Blue Madness:
One year I switched seats with a girl named Otis. About ten minutes later they told everybody to look underneath their seats for a program. Three programs were autographed by Rick Pitino and sure enough the seat I MOVED FROM was one of them. Otis ran down the steps and out onto the floor and got to shoot a free-throw to win free Papa John's pizza every Friday for a year. She air-balled it by at least six feet.
I was also there when Walter McCarty and Tony Delk ascended from the rafters dressed as Batman and Robin. That same Madness I watched SkyAntoine crowd surf around the corner and into the oblivion within four seconds flat.
Much more recently, I was there for the Coach Cal State of the Union address about the "Kentucky Effect".
Bottom line, if you've never attended Big Blue Madness you should go. If you're in college at UK you should definitely camp out. It's an atmosphere unlike anything else and every member of BBN should go at least once in their lifetime.
The Kentucky Effect
Posted September 18, 2013, 5:47 pm
Thursday, September 19
#3 Clemson at North Carolina State 7:30 PM ESPN Clemson –13.5
Prediction: Clemson 42-20. Bet Clemson –13.5
Friday, September 20
Boise St at Fresno State 9:00 PM ESPN Fresno State –3.5
Prediction: Boise State 21-20. Bet Boise St. +3.5
Saturday, September 21
North Carolina (1-1) at Georgia Tech 12:00 PM ESPN Georgia Tech –5.5
Prediction: Georgia Tech 35-21. Bet Georgia Tech –5.5
Marshall at Virginia Tech 12:00 PM ESPNU Virginia Tech –9.5
Prediction: Virginia Tech 31-27. Bet Marshall +9.5
West Virginia at Maryland 3:30 PM ESPNU Maryland –5.5
Prediction: West Virginia 24-23. Bet West Virginia +5.5
Michigan State at Notre Dame 3:30 PM NBC Notre Dame –6.5
Prediction: Notre Dame 20-17. Bet Michigan State +6.5
Tennessee at #19 FLORIDA 3:30 PM CBS Florida –17.5
Prediction: Florida 35-13. Bet Florida –17.5
#23 Arizona St. at #5 STANFORD 7:00 PM FOX Stanford –7.5
Prediction: Stanford 31-14. Bet Stanford –7.5
Auburn at #6 LSU 7:45 PM ESPN LSU –17.5
Prediction: LSU 31-13. Bet LSU –17.5
#15 Michigan at Connecticut 8:00 PM ABC Michigan –17.5
Prediction: Michigan 30-14. Bet Connecticut +17.5
Utah at BYU 10:15 PM ESPN2 BYU –7.5
Prediction: BYU 42-34. Bet BYU –7.5
Leemo’s 5 star Locks of the weekend: Stanford –7.5 and West Virginia +5.5
2013-2014 College Football Season
Year to date (Straight up picks): 10-0
Year to date (Against the spread): 5-5
Year to date (5 star Locks): 1-1
Posted September 18, 2013, 10:09 am
Stanley Johnson made quite a stir yesterday with his Tweet about Kelly Oubre. He basically said if Kelly Oubre commits to Kentucky it just betters the situation for him. At first glance many people thought he meant if Oubre commits to UK he would go elsewhere, but later based on his Tweets and other info it appears that he would like to play WITH Oubre at Kentucky. Johnson deleted his Tweet after all the controversy but popular opinion is now that both players are leaning toward Kentucky.
Update: In the recruiting world things can change from day to day. Now Johnson has told Jason Jordan a package deal with Justice Winslow is now very likely. Winslow is considered an Arizona lean although he does have an offer from UK. This one may take a few more twists and turns before it plays out. This is definitely the year of the "package deal" and anything can happen.
Posted September 17, 2013, 8:57 am
Good morning BBN, here's what's up.
- Basketball season officially began on Sunday when the team was allowed to have their first official practice. From now until September 27th, teams can practice for two hours a week, instead of the individual skill instruction they’ve received up until now. Starting on the 27th, they are allowed to practice a full 20 hours a week. In the past they wouldn't have been allowed to have full 20 hours a week practices but the rule changed this year. It should bode well for the young Cats that need the extra time to gel and find chemistry among all the new faces.
- Jeff Borzello Tweeted: Sounding more and more like a two-horse race between Kentucky and Kansas for Kelly Oubre. At this moment, I might lean toward Kentucky. Oubre has been turning heads lately and has risen into the top 20. He also has an epic hairdo.
- The Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook released their top 25 pre-season rankings and has Kentucky #2 behind Michigan State with Loserville coming in at #3.
- Stanley Johnson, the #3 ranked player in the 2014 Class, trimmed his list down to five schools: Kentucky, Arizona, Florida, Oregon and USC. Most anlaysts believe he will ultimately be choosing between UK and Arizona. Johnson recently said he liked Tyler Ulis' choice to go to Kentucky and he loves playing with unselfish point guards like Ulis.
- Coach Cal visited James Blackmon Jr. yesterday, the 23rd ranked player by Rivals. Cal made in-home visits to Tyus Jones, Myles Turner, Stanley Johnson, and Stephen Zimmerman last week.
Posted September 14, 2013, 9:59 am
As expected, Tyler Ulis selected Kentucky over Michigan State and will be running the point for the Wildcats next season.
Posted September 13, 2013, 7:20 am
This video was sent to us by a wild eyed Cat Fan who found KBF and loves it!